Renovate My Apartment In DumboPosted by Ashleigh G. in Brooklyn Heights
I'm in contract on an apartment. The shell of the apartment is great, but the sellers did a huge renovation 5 years ago and replaced much of the apartment with stainless steel, mirrors and frosted glass. They also painted the bamboo floor a light green. This is NOT my style and I feel it will suffer when I resell it if it's not fixed! No structural changes need to be made, just a facelift!
Not my style; Recently renovated
It was renovated 5 years ago.
I'm not sure what the insurance requirements are, nor if there is an alteration agreement. I'm looking into this with the management company. I also do not have great photos, but I can get them. For the time being, the listing is below:
Scope of work
1) Remove stainless steel and mirrors from walls
2) Tile or paint walls (wall near shower = tile, otherwise paint)
3) Replace stainless steel toilet and vanity
4) Remove frosted glass double doors, create sheetrock wall and normal door
1) Remove built-in stainless steel night tables
2) Remove built-in stainless steel closets
3) Install built-in closets
5) Rip up floor
6) Replace floor (which will be the same as the rest of the apartment)
7) Remove frosted glass double doors, create sheetrock wall and normal door
1) Remove mirror on wall
2) Replace frosted glass door to closet with a wood door
3) Paint or wallpaper
4) Replace floor (which will be the same as the rest of the apartment)
1) Remove stainless steel baseboard molding
3) Replace floor (which will be the same as the rest of the apartment)
4) Remove built-in stainless steel cabinets along the length of one wall
1) Replace floor (which will be the same as the rest of the apartment)
2) Replace stainless steel cabinets with wood cabinets
3) Replace existing stove hood with one with built-in microwave (doesn't vent) (no other appliances needed)
5) On island, replace stainless steel cabinets with wood cabinets
6) On island, replace graphite top of island and create an overhang for stools
7) Replace three frosted glass doors (kitchen closet) with wooden doors
WATCH OUT!!! Claud is a thief and a fraud. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED. I'm nearly a year away from when I started the project and I am still dealing with problems created by Claud and his company. Thank god I found another contractor (NOT THROUGH SWEETEN) that was extremely helpful in fixing all of the issues created by Claud and his company. As an example, his company illegally did not employ a licensed electrician. All of my electrical work had to be redone. The licensed electrician that fixed Sweeten also was no help at all. They disclaim any and all liability of any of the contractors they recommend, but I tried to work with them anyway and have them help me work with Claud and his company. Their only concern was ensuring Claud and his company got paid.
His company and Claud did not complete one aspect of my project well. I ADVISE YOU TO STEER CLEAR OF THIS COMPANY. ONLY PROBLEMS AWAIT YOU. As an example, when I pointed out that brand new walls Claud and his company built were not flat, he told me "I never told you I was building flat walls". Seriously.
His company and Claud were very difficult to work with. They handled every unexpected challenge and surprise with dishonesty and fabrication.