More about this projectThis renovation was featured on the Sweeten blog.
Kitchen & Bath Updates In Ditmas ParkPosted by Sarah G. in Midwood
We are a 4-5 months out of closing on our first apartment in Ditmas Park. It's a gorgeous old building but the kitchen and bathroom need updating to make it our own. We love the New England tradition of using shiplap because of the warmth it brings to a space, with the added bonus of it being easy to install and inexpensive.
This is a full (basic economy) bathroom redo, but not a full kitchen redo. We're talking about a new backplash and two cabinets and installing a dishwasher basically. The apt has an open kitchen/living room floorplan, so I calculated the sq footage of the wall of cabinets for that piece (since that is the only area where work is required), instead of the whole space. If that doesn't make sense I can include all of it, but I think it give the wrong impression of the scale of the project.
Scope of work
- remove tile on walls and floor, retile floor and tub surround
- remove tub, install new tub
- install shiplap on remaining bathroom walls
- remove tile backsplash and replace with beadboard/shiplap
- remove cabinet to make space for dishwasher install, plus any necessary woodwork to make the appliance seamless
- remove 3 cabinets and replace with open shelves
- paint walls and cabinets