Avant-garde turns traditional in this Boerum Hill loft renovation
“[Sweeten] takes some of the mystery out of finding a contractor and makes the whole process seem a little less daunting.”
–Boerum Hill Homeowners
This week we’re excited to bring you a finished look at a renovation we’ve been following ever since we matched these Brooklyn homeowners with our network member contracting team, Allied Arborcraft. The Boerum Hill-based couple posted to Sweeten, a free service matching renovators to vetted general contractors, in order to find a contractor to carry out their architect-designed loft renovation. The project called for removing an existing, avant-garde interior room structure (the ‘pod’), and, in its place, constructing a more traditional 2-bedroom layout. Back in September we caught you up to speed on the project’s construction as it approached completion. Now that it’s finished, here’s a look at the space before & after.
- Here’s a look at the unusual structure the homeowners started with –aka ‘the pod’.
- While dramatically different than the original, the new design is still very stylish and modern.
- The faceted walls of the former pod enclosure were constructed with raw OSB.
- The new volumes are more traditional in form and feature the natural wood texture of birch plywood wall paneling.
“When we decided to renovate our apartment, the most daunting task seemed to us to be picking a contractor. How do you choose from the thousands (or more?) out there in the City? How do you figure out who’s good? Luckily, about the same time, I read about theSweeten in NY Magazine. Seemed like a win-win — someone doing a little pre-vetting but without placing any obligations on us. We interviewed a few contractors suggested by theSweeten and ultimately chose Gregg Resnick of Allied Arborocraft.”
- Here, we can see the new second bedroom through an interior window. The bedroom features a mezzanine level as well as 2 windows to bring in natural light. This window is also operable to promote air circulation.
“We lived in the apartment during the renovation, which was definitely a challenge, but the guys were extremely accommodating and worked hard to ensure that our (little) space remained livable and as dust-free as possible.”
- The former master bedroom showed off more of the pod’s ‘cave-like’ qualities, especially the enclosure’s arched ceiling.
- The new bedroom takes advantage of the loft’s high ceilings.
“From start to finish, we felt like we were on the same team; we had none of the constant haggling that you so often hear about…We were really really pleased with Gregg and his team and would definitely recommend them.”
Since there’s too much more here to see all at once, next week, we’ll show you the rest of the spaces and take a closer look at the finishing details –get ready to be inspired to renovate!
Already have a home improvement project in mind? Post it to Sweeten; it’s free & super easy!